An ultrasonic cleaner is a high quality cleaning device. It has an ultrasonic transducer that is positioned at the lower part of the cleaner’s tank. The transducer is attached to either the tank’s floor or wall.
A transducer is a type of material that converts one type of energy into another energy type. It becomes deformed when an electric charge is applied to it. When the transducer in the ultrasonic cleaner’s tank is stimulated, its size increases. The stimulated transducer causes the tank to move. When this happens, ultrasonic waves are created. It is the ultrasonic waves that help clean the instruments.
The high frequency current produced by electricity makes the transducer produce rarefaction and compression waves in the water. A vacuum cavity is then created by these waves. As the waves are being produced, the size of the cavity increases and decreases. The cavity collapses once its size becomes too large that it cannot keep its shape anymore. This collapse produces lots of minute bubbles. When these small bubbles collapse, the contaminants and dirt on the instruments are removed. In an ultrasonic cleaner, the bubbles become smaller as the frequency becomes higher. Very small collapses can clean tiny instruments.
Ultrasonic Cavitation Video
There are three main sizes of ultrasonic cleaners. The smallest size looks like a toy. It is used to clean very small items like jewelry and contact lenses. The middle size is used to clean dental and surgical instruments. The biggest size is the industrial size. It is big and heavy duty. It is used in cleaning big items such as car parts.
You can easily make your own ultrasonic cleaner. All you need are five items and some of these items may already be available in your home. What you need are coffee can, pail, palm sander, duct tape, and 2-inch thick foam. When you already have all five items, do the following:
- Attach foam to the bottom and wall of the pail. By doing this, the pail will not vibrate once the palm sander and coffee can vibrate. That is because the foam will absorb the vibrations.
- Get the palm sander and without plugging it to the socket, turn it on. The reason for turning it on without plugging it to the socket is that it would be difficult to turn it on later.
- Use the duct tape to attach the palm sander to the coffee can’s bottom. Tightly tape the two materials together so that when the palm sander vibrates, the coffee can will also vibrate.
- Fill the coffee can with water to about ¾ full.
- Place the coffee can inside the pail.
- Insert the palm sander’s plug into the wall socket.
- Wait for several minutes. The palm sander will produce heat after running for a few minutes. Do not worry about the heat produced by the sander. It is not hot enough to cause fire. The heat produced by the sander will be passed on to the can. The heat will make the can expand and shrink. When the can becomes heated, cavitation of bubbles happens. This cleans the material you placed in your homemade cleaner. You can turn off the palm sander when the can starts to expand and shrink.
An ultrasonic cleaner is a very useful cleaning device. You should buy one or make your own. You can clean lots of items with it. Just remember to not leave items in the cleaner too long to prevent cavitation erosion from happening.