Biodiesel is a very good alternative to regular gasoline and diesel. Unlike the two types of regular fuel which are harmful to the environment, biodiesel is environment-friendly. Aside from that, this type of fuel is easy to produce. As a matter of fact, by using used cooking oil and other items, you can make biodiesel right in your very own home. The two other items that you need are sodium hydroxide (lye) and ethanol or methanol.
To turn the above-mentioned items into biodiesel, you need a biodiesel processor. Biodiesel processor is easy to make. There are just several items that you must have and steps that you should follow. The items you need are drum, drill, pipe, ball valve, heater element, electrical wires, electric motor, two pulleys, belt, rolled steel rod, propeller, hinge, angle iron, piece of wood, and welding tool.
DIY Home Biodiesel Production
- Cut the drum’s top to make a big hole.
- Use a drill to create a hole at the bottom of the drum. The diameter of the hole should be the same as that of the pipe.
- Attach the pipe to the hole using the welding tool.
- Add a drain valve by connecting the ball valve to the pipe. Preferably, use a ball valve that is made of brass because it is long-lasting.
- Make a hole at the drum’s side, near the base. The hole should be as big as the heater element.
- Get the heater element and insert it into the hole. You have to be sure that the heater element is not in contact with the drum’s sides.
- Attach electrical wires to the heater element. You will connect these wires to a power source when you want to use your biodiesel processor.
- Make a chemical mixer. Start by connecting the rolled steel rod to a pulley.
- Connect the electric motor’s spindle to the other pulley.
- Weld a propeller to the rolled steel rod’s one end. The propeller could be a shelf bracket.
- Connect a hinge to the assembled pulley, steel rod, and propeller. The hinge makes the mixer movable.
- Use the welding tool to connect the angle iron across the drum’s top. The angle iron serves as a support to the chemical mixer.
- Connect the angle iron to the other side of the hinge. The hinge should be at the middle of the angle iron, making the steel rod and propeller positioned at the drum’s middle part.
- Place the electric motor at the drum’s side. Make sure that the electric motor will not cause the drum to topple.
- Tightly attach the belt to the pulleys. The belt should be tight for the biodiesel to be properly mixed. Adjust the length to get your preferred length. Use a piece of wood to tighten the attachment of the belt. Affix the wood to the hinge.
Your biodiesel processor is now ready to be used. Get a measuring stick to get accurate measurements of the biodiesel.
If you find it too hard to make a biodiesel processor on your own, why not consider our ultrasonic biodiesel reactor: https://www.bjultrasonic.com/shop/ultrasonic-biodiesel-reactor/.