Thousands of dollars are spent on surgical instruments annually due to veterinary and medical reasons. Cleansing of surgical instruments keeps treatment methods hygienic and the instruments are always available quickly to be used. To keep instruments disinfectant, it is vital to avoid the rusting of stainless steel. Fortunately, it takes the smallest amount of time to make sure your surgical scissors are uncontaminated by using a proper method every day.
- Clean towels
- Neutral PH Cleanser
- Ultrasonic Cleaning Machine
- Instrument Lubricant.
Step by step Instructions
- Within ten minutes of surgery you must rinse your scissors to clean off the blood or left over material on the instrument. In case you can not quickly rinse your scissors, make sure you leave them in a folded wet towel meanwhile. Otherwise, the debris on the scissors might dry.
- A common mistake made is the use of dish detergent or surgical scrub to wash the scissors. However, the actual wash used should be a PH cleanser. It has the balanced chlorine content needed by surgical instruments.
- Followed by the PH cleansing, for a minimum of fifteen minutes, keep the scissors in the ultrasonic cleaning machine.
- Place scissors under running water to clean them properly one more time before placing the instrument between two towels to blot it. Air drying might seem the easier way but its more germ-free to use the towels to dry your scissors.
- Finally, the scissors are to be sprayed by a instrument lubricant.
Staining and rusting of any surgical instrument can be avoided by keeping them dry at all times.