In this society, more and more people are enjoying keeping unique pets, such as reptiles and amphibians. These lovely pets are usually kept in enclosures called terrariums–an enclosed habitat containing usually some plants, rocks, gravel and so on. Many of these pets and plants should live in an moist environment, for example, many kinds of frogs and chameleons need an environment with the humidity of around 90%.
As a result, some kinds of humidifier are commonly used to maintain the moisture of the environment. These humidifiers can be bought in a retailer, or can be built up with some tools and assembles.
- Prepare a plastic tubing. Cut it into two halves with a scissor, getting two three-foot sections of tubing.
- Drill two holes in the cover of the plastic container, the diameter of the holes should be the same with that of the plastic tubing, such allowing the tubing fit just through these holes.
- Insert one plastic tubing into one hole in the lid, until it reaches the bottom of the plastic container.
- Take the cover off the container, attach the air stone to the outer opening of the tubing inserted in the plastic container. An air stone is a small stone with large number of tiny pores. It is generally green, blue or black. When immersed in water, an air stone can release air bubbles constantly.
- Pour water in the container to about two-thirds full. Replace the lid and make sure it’s well sealed.
- Fix the other terminal of the tubing to the air pump’s output (from which the air is expelled).
- Insert the second part of the tubing in the other hole in the lid to about an inch. Make sure that, the end of the tubing doesn’t contact with the water in the container.
- Insert the other terminal of the second half of the tubing in the plastic container. If you are using a screen cover, you can squeeze the tubing in an opening of the screen. If you are using a plastic cover or aquarium cover, you can squeeze the tubing through the reserved openings in the back.
- Turn on the air pump. There should be bubbles in the container due to the flowing air through the air stone, and moist air should flow in from the second section of tubing.
Tips & Warnings
Try to feel if any air is escaping from the holes where you’ve insert the plastic tubing. Seal around these holes with the sealant if you can feel it.
Ultrasonic Products We Offer
Did this article help you?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: